Sunday, May 20, 2007

Performance Fest

I judged at the Performance Festival tonight in the hostel. I resolved at the beginning of the event that I would be tactful with my words. Alas, I guess I screwed up because I accidentally made a comment that went something like, "you chose a wrong song". And one of our boarders didn't have any qualms making his opinion known that I should not have said that about the song. It was uncharacteristic of me to be affected by this sort of thing, but I felt lousy the rest of the night.

Talking to Calvin, thankfully, made me feel better. He's coming back soon.

Me: Hey! How you?
Calvin: heyhey! im good
Calvin: youyouYOU?
Me: Not so good..
Calvin: what is it?
Calvin: do you have skype?
Me: Don't have..
Me: It's ok, I'm good..
Calvin: something obviously is bothering you. What is it?
Me: Yeah but it's really not worth mentioning. I'm just moping.
Calvin: alright, if you wont say. there are always things you can do with money to buy some happiness. Like splurging on ice cream or going to the spa.
Me: Haha.. Buying happiness... I can't really buy happiness, my dear.. It's too expensive..
Calvin: expensivity is relative. Happiness is crucial to living. What's the wortth of money if you can't buy a little happiness when you need it?
Me: Hehe. But I'm not earning enough to be happy.. Happiness is a Volvo C70.
Calvin: buy a smaller happy
Calvin: hey do you like to watch taiwanese variety shows?
Calvin: there is this interview that is very funny... you should watch it
Me: Haha. I don't like leh.
Me: The cheapest happy is just talking to you on MSN.. So I'm doing that lah.
Calvin: good to know im a happy and cheap too
Calvin: get a javanese massage! i know where you can go to get that.
Calvin: Or go sun tanning tomorrow
Me: Heh. There's church tomorrow..
Me: And ticklish, so massage won't work!
Calvin: you are hard to please, honey
Calvin: bake brownies then
Me: Heh. Good idea. It's 12.57am in the morning. I'm sure skulking around the hostel pantry is a normal thing to do over there but it's a wee bit different here!
Calvin: oh well..... order a pizza and some spicy wings... make friends with the delivery guy and have some beer together
Calvin: it's tomorrow before you know it
Me: Haha. You're insane do you know that? That, my dear, is the reason why I talk to you.


Yup. That's the reason. On hindsight, I don't think I was really wrong. It was the truth after all, and I don't think I said it in a way that was tactless or wrong. They chose "Bring Me Back To Life", which was a really popular song and notoriously difficult to sing. With that level of difficulty, pulling it off will take another level of skill. Although they might have been superior technically (with all the electrical equipment), there was a greater chance of screwing up, and the fact that the guitar amp *did* screw up didn't help.

Whatever. I think my mistake tonight was that I made an effort to give comments that I thought would help them perform better in the future, rather than the standard "I enjoyed myself".

No comments: